Computer & Internet Use
The Kaslo & District Public Library offers Internet access via wireless connection or use of one of 2 public computers. There is no charge for either at present. The time limit is 30 minutes per session on the public computers or at the discretion of the librarian. Advance bookings are available by phone or in person.
The Internet is a worldwide community with a highly diverse user population and it is your responsibility to use this resource wisely. The library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet. The Kaslo and District Public Library is not responsible for the content, reliability, accuracy, currency or bias of information retrieved. Nor does the library endorse or sanction controversial, offensive material found on the Internet. Users are responsible for the sites they visit and any text or images they print.
Internet use by children
Parents or guardians, not the library or its staff/volunteers, are responsible for the Internet information selected and/or accessed by their children on public computers or wireless at the library.
Age 13 and under: Parents or guardians must sign-in for their children monitor their activity.
Age 14 – 17: A permission slip, signed by a parent or guardian in the library, must be on file.
- Accessing sites containing illegal material
- Unauthorized copying of materials protected by federal copyright laws
- Fraudulent or unlawful purposes prohibited by federal, provincial, or local laws
- Violation, or attempts to violate computer system security and/or software license agreements
- Hacking or impeding computing activities of others
- Violating another user’s privacy
- Harassing, libeling, or slandering individuals
- Damaging equipment, software or data belonging to the library or others including, but not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses. The cost of repair or replacement will be charged to the user.
- Changing equipment or software settings
- Installing other software programs
- Establishing commercial activities including sale or purchase of goods
- Unauthorized access of files, data or passwords including but not limited to Kaslo & District Public Library files
- Deliberate viewing of material or images that other individuals, particularly children, may find personally unsuitable and objectionable. This may include, but is not limited to material that is: abusive, obscene, sexually oriented, racially offensive, illegal.
- Disruption or unauthorized monitoring of electronic communications
- Incurring any costs to the Kaslo and District Public Library
The full policy may be viewed here.